Wednesday 16 April 2014

Religion, Racism, Monarchy and Music


For the second week in a row, the Spectator podcast proves a probing catalyst into the minutiae of the Scottish independence debate. The discussion about the state of Atheism as we approach Easter reminded me just how much influence Christianity still wields today. This fused in my mind with something I heard on the radio yesterday about the role of music during the First World War.

The establishment pillars of religion and monarchy – personified through christian discourse and the royal family – are rapturously exalted in the national anthem God Save the Queen. Interestingly, the national anthem is used by English sports teams, while the other home nations choose overtly nationalistic alternatives. I think that the widespread collapse of the Corries’ folk song, Flower of Scotland, into a diatribe is a sad indictment on a union in peril.  

As an atheist at school I remember – almost defiantly – keeping my head high, while remaining respectfully quiet as the vast majority engaged in ritual prayer. Rebellious defiance has matured into the strong atheistic strand of my reasoned scepticism. While on the monarchy, I have made a complete u-turn.

Passing out as a school leaver and entering my young adult phase, I was an enthusiastic apologist for the Royal Family. I often cited the purported awfulness of a ‘president Yo Blair’ as a worthy reason for keeping the Queen. However as my political views have drifted away from conservatism and towards egalitarianism, the monarchy has become – for me – as indefensible as all hereditary privilege and entitlement:  The very antithesis of equality. Despite the alleged ‘ceremonial’ position of the monarch, the fact that neither you nor I have the opportunity to represent our country, as head of state, is a sad signal that reflects a society anchored to its history of unjust inequality.  

The national anthem validates and celebrates the institutions of religion and monarchy respectively. While it might be tempting to disown the song in favour of the contemporary Scottish alternative; I’m afraid to say that the traducing, yet popular, insertion of ‘b*s***d*’ into the Flower of Scotland has vanquished any hope it may have had as a viable alternative.

Anti-English racism is a scar on our society; I’ve experienced it personally, possibly because of my indeterminable neutral accent! A wider example was evident at Hampden Park during a crucial world cup qualifier – against Belgium in 2001 – when England was actually the target for communal loathing routines. The spectacular failure on the pitch – in typically Scottish style - brought me close to tears that day which shows, I think, just a strong notions of identity can be.

Crass anthem adaption and tribal abuse may be written off as immature irrelevance by those in denial of a racist anathema in elements of Scottish society, but I disagree. I think these examples are symptomatic of something more pervasive. As I alluded to in my last post, I think that ‘London’ as the apparent source of all evil may offer some explanation.

I’ve not heard what the Scottish national anthem post independence would be. I hope that it might reflect a society aspiring to stand proud without a perennial chip on the shoulder. Right now I feel disinclined to make the dubious lesser of two evils choice when it comes to supposedly unifying songs: 'Hail the establishment' or 'we hate the English'? I wonder if an independent Scotland would offer a positive choice on the singing front?    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home