Sunday 21 September 2014

We're not quite ready

Well there we have it: an amazing campaign and spectacle of political participation has ended in Scotland voting to stay in the UK. I don't mind admitting that I feel somewhat deflated and a wee bit sad too. One of my reasons for voting yes was because I thought it would enhance our relationship with England - where so many great friends and family live and come from. I worry that Nigel Farage - already this morning talking about reducing Scottish funding - might have rubbed the lamp of a slightly hostile and more fractious neighbour; I hope I'm wrong. I think this referendum took place perhaps 15 years too early. Those who witnessed the war, the stoic 50s, the UK's imperial world standing and revere the monarchy and tradition were never likely to vote to abolish what they were brought up to admire and respect. The demographics will be different a generation later and only 1 in 10 no voters need to change their minds. I hope that if the question is asked again - when I have more than a few grey hairs - then it would advocate a republic; who knows, maybe the UK will be one by then anyway? Thanks to everyone for some great debates and when is all said and done, I think this referendum has been an exemplar of democracy - a great turn out and every single vote counted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home